"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." ~ Charles W. Eliot
***
"This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook - try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" ~ Julia Child
***
"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." ~ Louisa May Alcott

Friday, December 16, 2011

I Saw Three Ships

The Christmas carol I Saw Three Ships has always been a favorite of mine. When I found the book of the same name by Elizabeth Goudge, I ordered it having just read Linnets and Valerians. I was not disappointed and am glad I saved this short read for December!

I Saw Three Ships

It is a sweet story about Polly Flowerdew who lives with her two aunts Dorcas and Constantia. Against their wishes, Polly leaves a window open on Christmas Eve in the event that the Three Wise men decide to visit. The words to the carol come to life on a magical Christmas morning...

This book will become a classic that I read over and over during the Christmas season.

***  ***  ***

I love looking up the story behind Christmas carols. This one is very old finding its origins back in the 1600s. Here is a little information from whychristmas.com:

The tune of this carol is a traditional English folk song and the words of this carol (of which there are several versions) were written by wandering minstrels as they travelled through the country. In the original version of the carol, the Three Ships were the ones taking the supposed skulls of the wise men to Cologne cathedral in Germany. However, since the Middle Ages when it was first written, there have been many different lyrics with different Bible characters being on the ships. The most common lyrics used today are about Mary and Jesus travelling to Bethlehem.


Happy reading!
Heidi

2 comments:

Elizabethd said...

Heidi, you've found another EG that I hadnt read!

Nancy said...

I bet your Kindle is feeling very neglected about now. So far you have not read a book on it. Hummmm.
Love you, Mom
PS: Did your truck come back on????